Had a chance to role play a bit with my middle schoolers today. I created a medieval scriptorium complete with Gregorian Chants, candles, and incense.
To prepare, students used Google translate to covert the content I wanted them to learn into Latin. They used the Google font Medieval Sharp to turn their translations into the final script we used to copy to vellum.
They spent 35 minutes in complete silence and focused attention to create the first part of what will become our illuminated manuscript.
As a bonus, we made a deep discovery. When examining images of a 1,000 year old manuscript, they quickly discovered it was written in Latin and collaborated to translate the page as I watched. Awesome day of learning for all.